Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Learning

I love to read (which I have been missing lately) and am reading as much as I can to Christian. I hope he develops a love for reading as well as to help him learn English faster.  We have a stack of books we read at least twice a day, by his request, on a variety of things: shapes, colors, numbers, animals, things, and Dr. Seuess eyes, ears and foot books. People have told me that he is too young to learn his colors or shapes yet. But guess what???  Monday when we were coloring, he picked up the yellow marker, looked at me and said, "yellow"!  He did the same thing with the brown marker. Why those specific colors, I do not know.  I thought it might have been a good guess so I mixed up the markers several times, told him to pick out the yellow and then the brown and he did it about 4 more times. So I'm sure he really does know those two colors.  Then he did the same thing with "circle".  He points to circles and says in a tone like he's asking me, circle?  YES!  Circle!  The last few weeks he has been talking more and more, saying alot more English words.  He still has to catch up, but I feel a bit of a sense of relief that I think he'll catch up fine and fast.
~Amy

3 comments:

  1. read read read and talk talk talk ... I was convinced that Maya's first words were going to be "Mom, can you please stop talking!" ... he'll pick things up faster than you ever imagined. And then? You'll wonder if they every stop talking. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is terrific! I could live in Russia for a year and probably still not know the correct word for yellow! He must be very, very bright. I know the nap thing is difficult, they hate it, yet they need it. :)

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's never too young. If he is ready and excited about it, go with it.

    ReplyDelete