Thursday, February 24, 2011

Inchworms

I need to work with Christian on his large motor skills: climbing, jumping, somersaults, etc. because he is behind in those areas. I have a small house with nothing but the furniture to climb on. My backyard is small but I was still looking into getting one of those small Lil' Tikes kind of climbing units, but they are not cheap. So I am waiting for garage sale season to begin and hopefully I can find one.

I looked into any types of classes at the YMCA by my house and found one for 18-36 month old kids.  It's called "Inchworms" and tonight was our first night out of 7 sessions. They have things to crawl on/over/under, a small trampoline, mats to somersault on, colored circles to jump on, and an overhead bar thing to hang and swing from. Remember Christian has been sick so tonight did not go well.  He didn't want to be there but he didn't want to leave, he didn't want to play on the units but he'd butt in front of other kids, the list goes on. At least he wasn't the only kid not having a good day.  They had some music they turned on and wanted the kids to "march" in a line, hop, clap, stretch, etc.  The minute the music started he ran for me and wanted to be held. I was SO shocked! He LOVES music but for some reason he was scared. The only thing I could figure was he was afraid of the actual "boom box" because it had a large glowing red ring around the whole front and he kept staring at it. The music was kids singing kid kinds of songs, the same ones we have at home that he likes.  I guess when you don't feel good, nothing makes sense and irrationality is ok.....at least it is for me.  I feel so bad that Christian does not feel well but I can tell he is making progress. So hopefully he will like next week's class :)

~Amy

2 comments:

  1. I saw you guys tonight! Unfortunately, I was in the middle of a training session and couldn't come to say hello. I did that class with Maya, too, and we had a rough start as well. It gets better!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy, just want to mention that I bought a Lil Tikes playhouse in great condition for $50 thru ebay - it was in our area so we just drove 1/2 hr to pick it up. You can often find these expensive toys /playthings online on craigslist or ebay for great prices! (I know the playhouse we snatched cost over $200 new - it was exactly the one i wanted, i was shocked to find it on ebay!)
    ~deb

    PS its so great to hear how well Christian is doing at daycare!

    ReplyDelete