Sunday, February 13, 2011

Baptism

Today was Christian's baptism and it was wonderful!  I had it at the church where I grew up and where all my siblings, nieces and nephews were baptized (except for two nephews in Florida).  We have a baptismal cloth/vestment type of thing that all of us were baptized with and we used it on Christian. It was so special for me to use it and made me feel he was "part of the family". My sister Cindy surprised me with a text on Friday saying she bought a plane ticket and was coming from Florida for the baptism! She and her husband are the godparents and she didn't want to miss it.  It was a very fast trip for her but it meant so much to me that she made the sacrifice and came.  Love you Cindy!

We had the ceremony before mass because I didn't think it would go well and I didn't want to disrupt mass for everyone.  He did pretty good actually. He balked at being held on his back to have the holy water poured over him. I couldn't get him to lay down so my sister held my hair back while my brother-in-law helped me get him to lay down for the few seconds needed to pour the water over his head. He was screaming and upset, as expected, but when I turned him back upright, he gave the priest a look like, "what did you do that for?"  The facial expressions he has are so funny sometimes.

We stayed for mass then and it was so nice to have people that I grew up with come up to me after mass and congratulate us. That's what I love about a small town, people know you, they care and are supportive.
Then we all had lunch at my parent's house, Christian received some beautiful gifts and I got to bring home some leftovers. YAY!  I don't have to cook for a few meals :)
~Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment