Friday, February 11, 2011

Not when I ask

It just amazes me how Christian will not do what I ask but will then do it much later.  For example, I ask him to repeat certain words and he won't so I don't know if he understands me, is learning what I am telling him or simply just doesn't want to repeat me because he's 2 yrs. old. He loves to read and we read every day: colors, animals, shapes, story books, nursery ryhmes, Dr. Seuss, etc.  He will repeat the colors once in a while but would only repeat the circle shape.  So we have been reading these books since the day he came home, 2 months now.  Tonight, sitting at Grandma and Grandpa's house, we are looking at the shape book, he points to each shape and says them all but one!  He even said the difficult ones like diamond and octagon.  I guess he was listening and understanding me :)


We went to the occupational therapist today for an evaluation to see where he needs work.  I have been trying to get him to do more large motor skill things because I know that is what he is lacking. One thing the doctor's keep asking is can he jump, at least a little.  You guessed it, when I try to get him to he just looks at me. I finally got him to bend his knees in preparation to jump but he just stays in the bent knee position and gives me a look like, "I'm supposed to do what now?" So this morning at the OT he wouldn't jump either and then when we got to Grandma and Grandpa's he wouldn't jump then at the prompting from Grandma.  Two hours later, as he is running around the house, he comes into the living room where we are sitting and starts jumping!  We all just laughed and then told him what a great job he was doing and then he turned into a jumping bean.  So I guess he is understanding, he just wants to do what he wants in his own time.  It is a relief to know he is catching on to what I have been saying, reading and showing him.  You always worry if they are developing appropriately and if you are doing the right things.  It also helps when people who haven't seen him in a month, say they notice a big change in him and how much he's learned.  Yay for you Christian!!!
~Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment