Saturday, March 12, 2011

Shots, Parade and Sorry

The last several days have been eventful to say the least.
Christian did much better at the inchworms class on Thursday!  I've figured out if I get there a little early and let him just run around the gym, then he's ready to slow down a bit and do the activities. This time they had them "throw" a ball into a short basketball hoop.  Now he wants to throw the balls around in the house. Oops!  Need to hide the balls until we can get outside.  We ran into a friend, Michelle, who gave me some great advice and insight. Thanks Michelle!!!

Friday afternoon he had another round of immunization shots and you can imagine how well that went.  I don't blame him, I'm not fond of getting shots either.  They said they may make him grumpy and raise his temperature.....yep, they did.  So Friday afternoon and evening was a drama.  I ended up calling my parents to talk for support, and of course, they were wonderful.

Saturday was a big adventure!  We went to the St. Patrick's Day Parade in downtown St. Louis. We met up with some friends, one couple has a 2 yr old boy also, and had a good time.  Thank goodness both mommies brought plenty of snacks as we shared them between the kids.  Success! It was tough because we were there about 1 1/2 hours before the parade started to get a good place to see. Both kids did great, but they did get tired close to the end of the parade so we left a little early.  It worked out for me because I missed alot of traffic and still had time for him to get in a nap when we got home.

In the inchworms class, the kids pretty much run around all over the place.  So you can imagine the falls, trips, bumping into each other and cutting in front of each other in lines.  This class is for 18-36 month olds, so they are all learning social skills still.  I must say, Christian and I have not been in a situation where he has had to say, "I'm sorry" yet. But he tripped and fell into a kid, causing the other kids to fall. I told Christian to tell the boy "sorry" and the boy and mom just waited, looking at him in anticipation.  Well Christian just looked at me with the look that says, "I don't understand that word".  So before I could grab him, he takes off running to the next toy.  I told the Mom and boy that we were sorry and the Mom just glared at me.  I was a little taken aback and later realized that a child of Christian's age should know how to say he's sorry and he appeared to just be a spoiled child to her.

So today when he was in crazy mode, he accidently knocked his head into mine. I told explained to him that it hurt and when you hurt someone, you say you're sorry.  Again, the blank look.  So today we practiced as situations would arise (only 2) but tonight when he bonked me in the cheek, I said "that hurt, what do you tell me?" and he said "sorry" and kissed my boo-boo. YAY!  Now let's hope he remembers it :)
~Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment