Tuesday, March 15, 2011

No crying, no tears, no whining.

That was a mantra from a couple of funny kids at a baby shower we attended on Sunday. Christian was a bit whiney and at one point laid on the floor. He laid quietly (he was tired) but he wasn't happy. I told him to get up and one of the other kids said, "get up, there's no crying, no tears, no whining." It was so cute!  They said it like they were repeating what they've heard over and over.  The adults decided we should type that mantra and hang it on our desks at work :) 

There were tiny cupcakes for the kids. I don't feed Christian hardly any sweets.  I don't want him to develop my sweet tooth (which is out of control) plus I gave him mini M&Ms once and after that all he did was scream for them and didn't want to eat anything else....this went on for three days.  My nerves can't take that, so the sweets are being kept to a minimum for now until I get his nutrition up to the doctor's liking.  So....I had to let him have a mini cupcake when all the other kids were eating one.  He was standing between my legs, facing me, as I fed him the cupcake.  He took the first HUGE big, closed his eyes and had a look of pure bliss on his face and then his eyes opened wide as he quickly chewed, swallowed and lunged at me for another bite.  It was the funniest and sweetest (no pun intended) moment! Of course he was zipping around from the sugar rush after that.

Today he cried when I left him at daycare, I felt so bad. He's had a terrible cold the last week but he is feeling better.  He's been struggling with daycare and is whining and difficult in the mornings and evenings when I have him. So leaving him today when he was crying just made me feel so sad even though I knew he would be alright.  He was more like his normal happy self tonight which is wonderful and such a relief!!!  I hope he is getting used to the new routine and will settle in so we can have our happy times again.  I'm sure when we can get outside after the weather turns, will help a get deal.

He is talking more and more which I am so excited about.  Although tonight I noticed he says "no" an awful lot...ugh, here are the 2 yr old things. Every place has one and this daycare has a bossy little girl. She is the granddaughter of the daycare owner (which I wasn't thrilled about when I found out) and as you can guess, she has a different set of rules than everyone else.  I made a photo card and attached it to Christian's coat. Another parent told me she made a photo album of them that her child kept in their backpack so they could look at it whenever they got anxious at daycare. I thought it was a great idea, but he doesn't have a backpack, so I made a tag and attached it to his coat. It has several photos I shrunk down and copied onto paper, front and back, and then laminated it.  His coat hangs low enough that the photo tag hangs low enough too for him to reach. They tell me he looks at it once in awhile. Today when I picked him up, he went to get his coat and the granddaughter was yanking on his photo tag, trying to get it off his coat.  He went over and pushed her and took his coat. I told him it wasn't nice to push her but inside I was happy he did.  I know, I know, that makes me a terrible person, but it took a long time to make that tag and it's his for security so she needs to keep her grubby paws off of it. No I don't want him to learn to push kids around, so I will make sure he doesn't do that but I did say, so the owner could hear, to the little girl that it was his and she shouldn't bother it.  We'll see how it goes. I can hear him in the backseat as we drive home, pointing to the photos and saying, "Momma, Christian, kitty..."  Again, another heart warming moment :)
~Amy

2 comments:

  1. Seriously Amy - find a new day care. That place sounds horrible. I know it is not easy, but doing what is right is never easy. Poor little guy, I wouldn't want to stay there either! :) You should find him a new place that he is happy to go to! It's not that difficult - ask around. Get him out of there -

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad the photo idea worked for him and I think it is a good thing he stood up for himself when the other girl was trying to take it. Yes, we don't want our kids to push, etc. but unfortunately they do need to know how to stand up for themselves. I teach Hannah to say "No Thank you" when some one is doing something she doesn't like. Hannah still looks at the photo album occassionally. Just the other day she took it out in the car and said "I miss Mommy at school and I look at you." It is heartwarming.

    ReplyDelete