Monday, January 3, 2011

Social Security Office

So they wanted me to mail my original Russian documents to apply for a social security number for Christian. I didn't want to give them the orignials because I can't get copies easy, if at all, again from Russia.  So I had to go into the actual office.  I stopped by Kinko's first and made color copies of the requested documents, hoping they would accept those instead of the originals, if they needed them at the office. So we only had to wait 20 minutes which was great because the room was full of people.  We did however stand at the window for 30 minutes because the guy inputting the information had never done a foreign adoption before.  Then I didn't know this, but there is a waiting period until I get Christian's naturalization papers, that they cannot assign him a permanent social security number.  So he has a non-resident, legal alien status until I get the naturalization papers, submit those and then his card changes to a citizen.  SO much paperwork before, during and after the adoption....whew!

We had our first "old faithful" moment.  Yes, when he is in the process of getting his diaper changed and had to pee.  Thank goodness he didn't get any on me :)  Bathtime is still a drama and hopefully he will get over it soon, I feel so bad that it upsets him so much.

He is chatting more so I have been able to get him to say a few more words. Of course, the next day he might not feel like saying them again but then the next day he will. He still says some Russian words that I can't figure out what he means but I have managed to figure out some of what he is trying to tell me.  At first every animal he saw was a (sa-bahk-a) which means dog.  Now every animal he sees is a "kitty".  I think it's because we have two indoor cats and he's gotten used to saying "kitty" so much.

He loves to go "bye-bye"!  Anytime I say it, be squeals and runs for his coat, rushing to get it on and scurries to the door.  It's so cute! He sits in the car good and just watches things go by.  The only time he doesn't want back in the car seat is after we make two stops.  When he's put back in the car seat after the second stop, he doesn't like that at all.  I guess he's tired by then of being strapped in.  But otherwise he does really well. He understands now that he has to put on the safety strap when he gets into a shopping cart.  (otherwise he decides to bail out on his own and I'm sure that would result in the possibility of a bloody nose or whatever else he would hurt on the way down).  So now when he's put in the cart, he automatically raises his arms for me to strap him in...so cute.

He is taking a nap right now and will hopefully be in a good mood when his cousin Adam and his fiance come for a visit at 3:30 today!
~Amy

2 comments:

  1. Amy, bath time was horrible for us as well - pure torture for my daughter. A blogger friend suggested we play with water on the kitchen floor to help her understand that water was fun. So everyday I would bring out the tupperware and we would pour water in and out of the tupperware - she would get her hands wet and eventually splash. We then brought some of the tupperware into the bath so she could connect having fun with water and the bath. It worked!!! And now she loves the tub and I can't get her out. She lays down in the tub until all the water is drained. Good luck, I know how terrible it is to see your little one so terrified, but it will get better, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I'm in MO also and received Natalia's social security card in the mail automatically - I was pretty surprised as I don't believe I filled out any paperwork requesting it. *Maybe* that will happen for you too???

    ReplyDelete