Thursday, January 27, 2011

Jeckle and Hyde

Yes, I think he has the Jeckle and Hyde gene.  HOLY COW!
The last two days he's been a crazy kid.  He freaked out royally when breakfast was over and he didn't think it should be over. I mean he eats more than I think he should be eating as it is and he acts like he's starving. I know that's an orphanage anxiety thing, but the freak out was crazy.  So I left him sitting on the kitchen floor, yelling his head off, and after a few sneak peeks from him, seeing that I wasn't watching him, he decided it wasn't getting him anywhere and stopped yelling. Stopped yelling like someone turned off a light switch, just like that, no lingering whining, just a good old fashioned temper tantrum.  Hey at least he didn't throw the milk across the room this time or push the plate onto the floor and break it. Thankfully (hope I'm not jinxing myself) those two incidents have only occurred once.

Bath time is substantially better from when we were first home, only a few lingering whines here and there, which I think are mostly due to the bathroom being too cold.  Last night I was thrilled, amazed, in shock, in disbelief, ecstatic.....you get the idea.  He usually does great, playing in the tub, until it's time to pour water on his head to wash his hair. Well last night, while playing with the plastic bowls, he poured some water over his head....all by himself....with no prompting from me.  I froze in place waiting to see his reaction when the water ran down his face, because that is the point when he usually shouts out. I snapped out of it quickly and made a BIG deal out of what he did, praising him, "oh what a good boy", etc. He wiped the water off his face, smiled up at me and did it again!!!!  DAMN!  Another missed miracle I could have had on video.  To say I was happy is an understatement.  Then he did it again tonight!!!  Please God, let the bathtime be fun from now on :)

Adam (my 24 yr old nephew, Christian's cousin) took a break from his college studies and came over for a visit.  Christian wasn't in the best mood, so playing with him was challenging, but Adam hung in there. We did get Christian to say Adam's name, although it sounded like "Apam". He did repeat it and when Adam left, Christian went from room to room calling out "Apam, Apam."  It was SO adorable.

Yesterday Christian was happy and playing one minute and throwing down for a tantrum the next. Of course I had no idea what the issue was (and still don't) but he flipped like a switch. This went on ALL MORNING and my nerves were about shot. So I decided nap time was going to come early :)  That was the magic solution, he slept for 3 hours!  Then he was happier that afternoon.  Aren't naps wonderful, wish I could have more....sigh, being an adult has it's drawbacks sometimes doesn't it.

Tomorrow we are having lunch with three of my girlfriends. I hope he's in a good mood because I need to see my girlfriends!!!
~Amy

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Have you read "The weaver's craft - Toddler Adoption" by Mary Hopins-Best? I think it would help you understand some and make it easier for both of you...
    Best regards!
    Ina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy, The book Ina mentions is the one I have, if you don't already have it, I will send it to you if I can find it...

    The bonding sounds like its coming along well! If you aren't using a sippy cup - its helps as no spilling can occur. Also - I have a couple of plastic plates I could send w/the book... gotta dig this stuff up if you are ineterested...
    deb

    ReplyDelete