Friday, January 7, 2011

Milk Throw/Better Bathtime

Two topics this evening.
1. The Milk Throw
Christian decided after eating his oatmeal for breakfast, he didn't want his milk.  I told him to drink some and he proceeded to throw the cup on the floor, and yes, milk went all over.  Mommy wasn't happy.  So into the pak-n-play he went for a time-in.  A time-in is where he must stay but can still see you.  I am told this is better for adopted children so they do not feel like you abandoned them and they have to handle things by themselves.  So he yelled for a bit, then calmed down. Back into the kitchen we went to finish the milk.  He is very stubborn and trying to run my house, so I am trying a new approach to discipline.  Of course he didn't want the milk, shoved it away from me, dropped to the floor for a tantrum, so back into the time-in he went.  We played this "game" for about an hour until he either got worn out or realized he was going to have to drink that milk.  So he begrugdingly drank the milk, only to "punish" me by not wanting to be near me for awhile after that.  Boy do kids have stamina or what!?!?!?

2. Better Bathtime
Yesterday I tried the suggestion of playing with water in the tupperware first and then move it to the bathtub.  Last night he was calm for a few minutes in the tub playing and then reverted back to his meltdown.  But when I started the water for bath tonight, it went very differently. Instead of running to the sofa when he sees the water on, he came in and starting playing with the running water!!! He was filling up one plastic bowl with water and dumping it into the tub like he was helping fill up the tub.  Of course, after playing a bit and then when I went to take off his clothes, he realized he had to get IN the tub and the meltdown began.  But with some coaxing, when I put him in the tub, we played "fill up" with the bowls for a few minutes.  I would "accidently" miss the bowl and pour the water on him and he didn't notice.  I got him all washed and managed to get his hair wet before he decided he was done and started yelling. So I quickly washed his hair, rinsed off and out he came.  I was SO exicted because this is the longest time he's been in the tub before he freaks out!  I hope this is a good sign and we keep progressing until he actually likes being in there the whole time!

~Amy

3 comments:

  1. Amy, our Ava Grace was terrified of the water when we first got her. When I got home, I started to bathe her in our kitchen sink. what a world of difference. She loved to play with the water from the faucet and it was a smaller area so she felt much better in it. I have heard that bath time in Russia is terrible, freezing cold water and they just spray them. Not a good time. Try it, Ava now loves all things water, showers are her favorite and she dosen't mind water on her face at all. toys helped out a lot also to keep her mind occupied.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Amy, I remember a phase when they throw everything on the floor from their high chair... it will pass, i think its just a developmental thing. also - for what its worth, i did not force my child to eat or drink anything she didn't want to. but you might be tired of suggestions, and mom knows best! You are a GREAT mom, your commitment shows in every post.
    hugs, deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know you IRL, but I can see you want what is best for your sweet son. I agree with the previous post, I never cared what my kids ate or drank, and they are older now and they never starved. "Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's almost all small stuff" is the best parenting philosophy in the world. Of course, I only had healthy food in the house, so they never ate junk. He is soooo cute! I would just spend this time loving him and playing with him, and not worry about power struggles. Once you drop the rope, he won't have anyone to tug with. Now let's see more pictures!!! :) All the best -

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete