Monday, January 17, 2011

First BIG Owie!

Well cross it off the list...the first big owie!  We were are my parents this past weekend visiting the family. Christian sits on a two step stool so he's high enough to eat at the table.  He would push it across the floor to the table and a couple of times it folded up a little. My Dad and I kept saying we need to not let him do that because it's going to fold up on his fingers. He wanted to be a big boy and do it himself. Well you guessed, we messed up.  He tripped, the stool folded up with his fingers in it and he fell on his stomach on top of the stool on the floor.  I grabbed him immediately and realized his fingers were still stuck in the stool.  I yelled for my Dad who rushed into the kitchen, got the stool and we got his fingers out. The one on his left hand was just slightly pinched but his right hand thumb got smashed pretty bad.  It's purple, the thumbnail is purple and the skin split on the thumb pad. Of course there was alot of screaming and crying and I felt SOOOOO bad!

After we got him calmed down and surveyed the injury, it was just smashed really, really bad, not broken, thank God!  So we bandaged it up, gave him some liquid Tylenol and he fell asleep.  He did pretty good with it the rest of the day, walking around with it sticking out, I'm surprised he didn't hit it on anything.  I found out he's pretty coordinated with his left hand because he switched and was eating and picking things up with his left hand instead.  Today he is mostly back to using his right hand, only switching if he can't pick something up due to the band-aid.  Of course I only had the adult size band-aid so it's a big wad on his little chubby thumb :)  Now he won't go near the evil step stool, which is fine by me!

~Amy

1 comment:

  1. poor baby! (its hard to protect them from all that can go wrong, i always just figured at the toddler age, murphy's law rules...) good that he learned you are there for him when he gets hurt though!

    ReplyDelete