Friday, August 6, 2010

Rush to Find Another Doctor

I tell my agency rep Wed. afternoon, that my regular IA doctor is out until next week. She says she'll have to talk to the in-country rep because waiting until next week may be a problem. So of course I freak out that after all this, I may lose this referral. So I send a frantic message to the adoption Yahoo message boards and check my blog, to find that fabulous people have given me advice that I should find another IA doctor and provided names of ones that would respond quickly.

So I call the first one, she is in Ethiopia....no go.  I call the second one, she can review my information and turn it around in 48 hours, for an expedited fee.  So $750 later (another unexpected cost) I talk to her last night for an hour.  She was EXTREMELY thorough, listened and answered all my questions completely and so I could understand.  She is a native Russian, went to medical school there, then moved to the US and went to medical school here too.  So she knows the Russian system inside and out, knows what their medical terms really mean to us in the US and what is typical care in the orphanages. She makes periodic trips over there to keep abreast of how things are run so she can stay up to date with the current situations. I was VERY impressed and felt VERY comfortable with her.

She had one major question that we need the answer too before I will accept to travel.  So this morning I asked my local rep if we could find out WHY they had a certain test done because that might tell us alot.  She said she would ask the in-country rep to see if she can find out. I ask if it's ok that I wait to make a decision to travel until I hear back from her and she says "no problem."  I was a little mifffed because I have been in a panic the last two days because she said it might be an issue if I wait to decide and now it's "no problem" AND I spent $750!  But I am trying to see the silver lining and I think that it's that I found another great doctor to give me a second opinion and the fee I paid includes her to review the information, photos and videos I will take while I am in Russia. So I will have two doctors opinions which, in the end, will be great reassurance for me.

I am praying this all works out, that's he's healthy so I can accept him and bring him home soon!!!
Stay tuned to my saga :)
~Amy

1 comment:

  1. Wow- that's so great. Hope everything from here on out goes smoothly for you! If you don't mind sharing the name and contact info on the IA doctor you spoke with- I would really appreciate her information. Just shoot me an email, if you don't mind :). Praying this is THE ONE for you!
    - Summer www.what-faith-can-do.blogspot.com
    summersims87@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete