Sunday, December 5, 2010

Jet Lag....ugh

Holy cow, this jet lag stinks!  You know I'm just going to get back on my normal time and then turn around and leave again to the other time zones.  Oh well, it is ALL worth every second!
Went to the store this morning to get small snack packs and travel containers of soups, mac-n-cheese, crackers, etc for the trip.  Not sure what he'll eat and I don't want to waste money ordering stuff in a restaurant only to have him not eat it.  I have things that are similar to what he eats now and I also plan to make a trip to the store when I am there to get food he eats now.  When I pick him up from the orphanage, we stay one night in Kaliningrad and then fly back to Moscow for the final 3 days.  We are staying in an apartment, which was less expensive to rent than the hotels, and it has a small kitchenette area with a refrigerator and microwave, so that will work out great.

I'll be taking alot more with me this time; two suitcases, stroller and a pac-n-play unit so he has somewhere to sleep. I'm not taking a car seat because I bought the TSA airline approved seat strap unit thingy. Basically is the same straps in a car seat that is attached to a larger strap that slides over the back of the seat, then the lap belt slides through.  This will be great because I won't have to lug a big car seat around, the the strap unit just folds right up and can be tossed in my carry-on.  It will be interesting to see how he reacts to being strapped into a seat!

Off to take a nap and get some housework done.
~Amy

3 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say that Anna LOVED Gerber puffs and Gerber Yogurt Melts. They were a lifesaver on the plane rides and I wish I had LOTS more. They were something you couldn't buy over there. She did fine with the baby food I bought in Russia but I couldn't find any snacks she liked except the puffs and melts (mainly the melts) so I had to ration them and I hated not being able to give her all she wanted.

    Our 2 hotels always had either a portable crib or pack-n-play so I didn't need to bring one. Maybe your apartment will still have one? Worth looking into. The stroller was very helpful though.

    Jet lag does stink. Hopefully you'll be like me and not really have any after 3rd trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't count on him liking being strapped in. I just held my daughtere the whole time, that way she didn't feel confined. They are not used to car seats that smash them in, like bio babies are used to. Keep in mind that he is going to be very stressed out the entire time, so try to think of ways to calm him, don't worry so much about crazy "safety" rules. He needs to see you as his protector, defender, and most of all, for the first time, a mother who advocates for him. Don't let people talk you into things. Just bring him as much peace as possible. Then you know you are doing the right thing. For instance, don't feel like you must give him a bath right away. He won't be dirty, and he'll need time to trust you. As we said earlier, water must be used very carefully with these children, they are terrified of it. So just approach everything like a mother lion. Always thinking, always protecting. You'll be a great mother if you think of his needs first, and know that your needs are nothing compared to what he needs! I know everyone wants their American children to smell like baby shampoo,etc, etc., but in the long run, that is not serving his interests. Can't wait to see him!

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a suggestion...if you rented an Apartment in Moscow on Novy Arbat Street through Peace Travel they will supply a pack n play. All of us CSS Moscow families got them. It might be worth checking into if you rented from someone else. Also, an umbrella stroller can be gate checked so it's not luggage or a carry on. That is not the case with some bigger strollers though.

    ReplyDelete