Thursday, December 16, 2010

Flight Snafu

Whew!  I have Christian in my hands and heading on the last jeg of this amazing process.
We had some snaffus in Kaliningrad, as has been typical in my process.  They couldn't get the birth certificate apostilled in time for our departing flight, so I had to change my flights. That was a HUGE nightmare!  They were rushing me, blaming me and generally bullying me. I was tired and upset, afraid we wouldn't make it to Moscow in time for the US Embassy interview, thus causing me to stay over the weekend and two days next week.  So I pushed them, they pushed back, and after making the flight changes and a mad dash to catch the 8:15 pm flight out of Kaliningrad, we were off to Moscow.  Yes it was thousands of dollars to change the tickets which gave me an ulcer I am sure of it.

We raced to the little regional airport, only to get stuck in traffic because of the snowfall.  Apparently they do not plow the streets here and traffic was a mess. I was so worried that after spending so much money to change the flights, I would have to again because we would miss the flight.  But we made it!
Then our bags were too heavy so I had to pay additional fees.  My driver got into a shooting match, accompanied with large gestures, with the payment window woman, who was shouting back at him. Meanwhile I am anxiously shifting from foot to foot, because we are wasting time arguing and our plane leaves in 15 minutes, we don't have the tickets printed yet, not through security yet, and not to the gate yet. The woman angrily threw the change and receipt in the window tray, I snatched it up and ran off, leaving my driver there to yell "the last word" at the woman.  We rushed through security only to have to dig out Christian adoption paperwork to prove I could take him.  We ran to the security, the woman rushed us through, ran to the gate, only to be told they were running 20 minutes behind.  Really???  Oh well, at least we got there.  Thank goodness Christian just sat in the stroller, not making a peep, taking it all in :)
~Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment