Thursday, December 16, 2010

Pickup at Orphanage

We drove the 1 hour and 40 minutes, through snow and unplowed roads, to the small town where Christian's orphanage is located.  As soon as we got there, I felt like they were rushing us around.  I gave them my bag of clothes I brought, they stripped him down, dressed him in the clothes I brought and rushed us out the door.  We did manage to get them to pause so we could get photos of his caregivers, doctor and director.  One caregiver, who really loved Christian, had tears in her eyes when we were leaving and kept calling out helpful hints of what he likes and what to do in certain situations. She also gave me a toy chicken that is his favorite toy and a small bag of food for him in the car. I wasn't expecting to get anything from them so tthat was so kind and appreciated. I am sure Christian will be please with his toy chicken :)

Thank goodness my sister Cindy was with me, because as I was trying to hold onto Christian, in his snow coat and pants that are too big, she was snapping the photos and asking the names of the two caregivers that seemed to love Christian the most. Thanks so much Cindy!!!

We hustled him to the car, buckeled him in and off we went. He was very very quiet in the car, just looking at everything and taking it all in.  It was his lunch time, so we fed him what we could in the car from the food care package they sent with us. Then he crashed for a nap for the rest of the trip.  We had to get some more passport photos done and he did great! I was worried he wouldn't sit still but he did.  Then back to the hotel to play and wait for the adoption rep to bring us the papers and then dashed to the airport.

I am so happy that he is one of those types of children, that when they get overly stimulated, he is quiet and just takes it all in, instead of freaking out :)  We had plenty of those moments later that day and the next.....stay tuned.
~Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment