Saturday, November 27, 2010

Orphanage Visit #2 and #3

YAY!!!  It only took a couple of minutes for Christian to come to me on Day 2 and only seconds on Day 3! Ok, so I bribed him with dangling the music box in front of him but he grabbed it and held up his arms for me to pick him up immediately.  I am so glad he likes that music box and that he connects it with me.  I bring it back each day and he lights up whenever he sees it. Who knows, maybe he's a budding musician :)  Although he does screech, yes screeches, when I take it from him when I leave each day. They wanted me to leave it there but I know the other kids will latch on to it, I'll probably never see it again, and that special connection of the box between us will lessen and I don't want that right now.  I might buy another one when I come home and take it back with me to leave with them on my next trip.  However you just never know if they'll let the children have it or put it up on a high shelf where I see so many other toys right now.  As far as playthings go, they really don't allow much in the playroom for them to play with. They said it causes fights and they have to pick them up constantly.  What!?!? It's no wonder why their delayed in development and motor skills, they have to play with things to develop.  Sweet angels, all of them, I pray they find loving forever families soon.

Christian danced for me again today along with a little karoke to the Farmer and Dell, although the words resembled "La, La, La"....He is enthralled with mirrors, it just cracks me up!  The orphanage is having their old tall water heat radiators replaced so the place was torn up and we couldn't be in the playroom by ourselves, instead we ended up in the office area.  I kept chasing him around (figuratively chasing as this room was about 12'x15') keeping him out of the desk drawers.  He kept asking for me to turn on the microwave thinking it was a TV.  They had a TV in the large playroom this time and some ballet was on the caregivers were watching, nothing kid friendly. They had a full length mirror on a cabinet door that he kept going back to. He would move just past it, then look back, like kids do when they are figuring out the person in the mirror is them.  He was so cute to watch!  Then he would turn to the side and look at himself in a stance and look on his face like he was checking himself out saying,"dang I look good."  I would laugh at him and he would laugh at me. Good thing I have a full length mirror at home! In a moment of fussiness, I brough out my next piece of kid soothing ammunition, a book with kittens and puppies dressed for Christmas or sitting in ribbons, stuff like that. I put him on my lap and read the story to him or tried, as he was flipping the pages back and forth telling something in Russian. He spoke alot more these two visits, even though I have no earthly idea what he said.  He would explore the room, come back, hand me the music box he constantly clutched, held up his arms to be put on my lap, put the book in my hands, take the music box back and tell me to read it (at least that what I interrupted he said).  We repeated this several times throughout our 2 hour visit.

We did have one major meltdown and I still haven't determined the exact reason.  He was coloring with the washable markers I brought, got a little on his hands, and my translator wanted to wash it off immediately. So off we go into the tiny bathroom in the office.  We turn on the water and he freaks out big time!  I make sure the water is warm, put a little soap on his hand, rub away, then pick up the squirming, now bordering on hysterical child, to rinse his hand. I mean major upset, huge tears, red face, the whole thing.  Natasha said she thought it was because the water was cold but he freaked the minute she turned it on. So I'll have to tread lightly and slowly for our first bath time to see if I can figure out what the issue is.   I felt so sorry for him but he calmed down quickly after we left the bathroom.  I hope this isn't a sign that he'll balk at even going into bathrooms because potty training will then be an interesting scene.

We go for another visit tomorrow and then on Monday at 10:00 is the court session. I was briefed today about what they would ask and I am so incredibly nervous. I just pray I answer all the questions the way they like.  Hoping to get some sleep tonight, got only 2 hours last night. Found a place that has good pasta!!!! Yay, a break from PB&J's :)
Thanks for all the support!
~Amy

8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad its going so well. I'll be hoping court goes smoothly.

    Yes, Anna was TERRIFIED of water!! I experienced the same thing the first time I went to rinse off her hands and saw it again when the caregivers rinsed her hands. The first bath I gave her you'd have thought I was torturing her. By the second bath, I had her playing with the water and bath toys while standing outside the tub and she got more and more intrigued until she wanted to get in, then she only screamed when I washed her hair. By the third and fourth bath she was pretty much a water lover :o) Its scary to think what they do to these poor kids at bath time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update! Sounds like 2 great visits. Take a deep breath and smile with confidence when your court time comes -- you are the best Mom for Christian with the support of many. Chris Portell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see updates from your visits and that things are going so well. We'll be saying a prayer Sunday night/Monday morning for your courtdate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad things are going well. How old is he?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh good.. Glad visits 2 and 3 were also a success! I am thinking about you and will be sending positive vibes and prayer your way for Mondays court hearing....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trisha and Jim,
    Christian turned 2 this past August. He is at about an 18 month old stage due to the language difference and some motor delays, simply due to lack of options for developmental play. He catches onto things quickly so I'm sure he will catch up to his age soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our daughter was so terrified of bathrooms, that I never took her in one the whole time we were in Russia, which was 2 weeks. She was in diapers, so you don't need to use a bathroom, and I just gave her really warm sponge baths on the bed at the hotel. Plus, with diapers you are cleaning them really well anyway. She was just too scared, and there was no way I was going to add anything to make her life more stressful. Water must be handled really carefully. I don't know what the caregivers do to them, but it almost makes me think they use it as a punichment in some way. I have no idea - but her reaction wasn't just a little one. Don't worry about potty training - he's only 2! You won't want to start that until at least next summer. Diapers are great! Can't wait to see his little face!!!!

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Amy just wanted to add to the info above from the experienced APs, I have also heard that a boy who was also adopted from the orphanage in Kgrad city was very afraid of bath time and had meltdowns for awhile, but it cleared up and he grew to love his baths... I'm curious as to why they are so afraid of water...I can send you the blog of that family, they are going back to Russia to adopt a second child! deb

    ReplyDelete