Thursday, November 25, 2010

Orphanage Visit #1

I got to see my little boy today!!!  He was afraid of me at first, crying and trying to escape into another room, but that is to be expected. If you remember I had the magic music box last time, but that only made him more upset.  After about 20 minutes, and them putting me in a long white doctor's coat (thinking that would make him think I was one of them...yeah right) he finally calmed down enough that I could touch him. Then we progressed to him sitting beside me and now the magic of the music box kicked in. I tentively picked him up (yes I made sure the music box was wound full on) cautious if he would start crying again. He just looked at me with interest. We moved around the room and spied a mirror on the wall, which we had great fun with, or at least I did. I kept making faces at him, he'd stare at me like I was some sort of loon, but eventually he started smiling at me and looking from me to the mirror and back again, trying to figure it all out. I love to watch kids when they have that look in their eye of trying to reason something out.

It was snack time, so in the playroom we went with the other little children. When I was here 3 months ago, there were eight kids including Christian, now there are 16 kids.  They all stopped at stared at me for a few seconds when I walked into the room, and then the non-shy ones, ran up to me, babbling away in Russian and I knodded like I knew what they were saying. So many tiny little faces looking up at me with anticipation, of what they did not know, but for something, anything to happen.  I wanted to play and hug them all but my time with Christian is so short and precious during these visits,  patted them all on the head and moved on to find my son.  He warmed up quickly after we entered the room, running to me to start the music box again and dancing around. (I have GOT to teach this child better dance moves :) ).   The caregivers kept telling him I was his Momma, and told him to give me a hug. He ran to me and threw himself in my arms and gave me a big hug!  I know he doesn't understand who I really am, but that moment will stay with me for the rest of my life. I only wish I had gotten the moment on video.

The caregivers were calling me Momma over and over again so Christian would understand and then another child came up to me, called me Momma, and wanted me to hold her. My heart just broke! The music box was a big hit, again, and all the little children wanted to hold it but of course Christian was having none of that which led to a few tugging matches.  I tried to distract them by organizing a small "ring around the rosey"  circle, dancing and singing to Farmer in the Dell. Hey it was normal but it worked...too well. I couldn't get them to stop ringing around the rosey, whew!

We did have one pretty smooth football play.  Yes those who know me, know I did not know much (ok anything) about football and don't care to but here's an analogy for you.  Christian is sashaying around with the music box when Tatiana goes in for the steal. She charges him, blind sides him, grabs the music box, tucks it under her arm and spins around for the getaway, only to collide with another child (there to assist the steal in my opinion). Now these two girls had been stalking him, waiting for their opening for the steal and they made their move, only to be tripped up by each other. Tatiana goes down, taking the other kid with her, while Christian (who by now realizes what's happened) pounces on Tatiana grabbing for the music box.  Another kids joins the fray,so we now have four screeching tugging kids in a pile, literally in a pile, at my feet.  I hesitate, not sure whether I should start pulling them apart and risk the caregiver coming after me for touching the kids or just wait until I see blood and pray it isn't Christian's. I send a worried glance to the caregivers and the two of them are just sitting there watching the action. I give them a helpless gesture that resembles something like, "really? are you kidding me? you're going to just sit there?" kind of look, which then prompts them to get up and separate the flailing arms and legs.  Finally the screeching stops, Christian gets the music box back and we retreat to safety to the other side of the room.  I feel sorry for the kids because they see Christian gettting attention with the music box and have put two and two together.

Christian starts winding down and supper is coming soon. He allows me to hold him, swaying to the music and eventually he puts his head on my shoulder.  It was such a special moment!  Tomorrow I'll be taking the clothes and shoes I brought to see what fits him for the Gotcha trip. Today he had a nice fleece jacket and pant set.....yellow with flowers all over it.  Girl clothes again! Hey at least the pink hat is gone :)
We'll see if he warms up to me faster tomorrow, I can't wait :)
Rainy and cold here. Had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in Thanksgiving Day.  I will definitely make up for it on Christmas.
~Amy

2 comments:

  1. Amy, this is all great news! Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with Christian. Love all your details -- you should definitely be a writer! I am very happy to see your new post here -- I was anxious to hear the news. Thanks for posting!! Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww SO glad your visit was fun! I loved reading about it :-)

    ReplyDelete