Friday, June 17, 2011

Gotcha Day - 6 months ago :)

Six months ago today, I was sitting in the US Embassay in Moscow Russia, being sworn in, for final declaration to be Christian's Forever Family Mommy!  A day I will remember forever.
On one hand it seems so long ago, sitting in that little room on folding chairs, surrounded by about 15 other families. On the other hand it seems like yesterday I was trying to help him get over his extreme fear of water.
Now I can't keep him out of the bathtub and sink and he wants to go swimming every day.  Wow, we've come a long way in a short time.

I was looking at photos of that day and he looks so much younger to me.  It makes me realize how fast he is growing, and it will only get faster, and that I need to cherish every minute, the good and challenging.  He is talking so much more, which makes him seem older too.

We had a break through moment tonight, which is a nice coincidence on our 6 month anniversary.  I've been trying to get him to drink out of a straw and he wouldn't have anything to do with it, so I stopped trying for a while.  Tonight we were dashing out of the house to meet a friend for dinner and he announced he was thirsty.  I didn't want him to spill all over his fresh shirt I had just put on, so I grabbed a cup with a straw, handed it to him, said, "suck in," and he did!!! Just like that! Amazing how things happen when he is ready and not when I want him to be ready.  Patience is the key.  Now we just have to work on teaching him not to tip the cup while drinking out of the straw so it doesn't spill out the top hole. One thing at a time, but straw thing is a big deal....YAY!

He painted a picture at daycare for Grandpa for Father's Day :) He is excited to give it to him and I know Grandpa with love it.  Happy Father's Day to all you great Dads out there!
~Amy

1 comment:

  1. Happy 6 months! You are right the time only goes faster! When you are the thick of the hard times they seem to drag on but once you are past them you look back and wonder where the time went!

    And yeah for drinking out of straws! A much needed life skill!

    ReplyDelete