Friday, June 10, 2011

Good Return

My return to Christian went pretty good. Grandma and Grandpa did a great job with him while I was gone. He spotted Grandpa right away on Wednesday, when they came through the door at daycare to pick him up.  He went with them, no problem, and when they got in the car he said, "Mommy?" but that was all. They kept him busy playing and he only fussed a few minutes when they put him to bed.  In the morning he cried a little when they dropped him off at daycare, but he's been doing that anyway and quits about a minute or two after  you leave.

When I walked in Thursday afternoon to pick him up, he looked up at me and hesitated. My heart skipped a beat.  He took two steps toward me, looked around and said, "Poppa?"  I said, "No Poppa's gone but Mommy's here."  Then he ran to me and gave me a huge hug.  I told him, "see, Mommy always comes back." He rushed toward the door for us to leave.  I warned the teacher that on Thursday he might not act the same because I was gone, but she said he did fine!

We got home, did our normal routine and he kept giving me hugs, which I gladly took :)  He was more upset than usual when I put him to bed.  I kept him up 30 minutes past the normal bedtime to play with him because I missed him so much.  When I put him to bed, I told him that Mommy would be here when he wakes up. The morning was another story.  I got my usual good morning hug and hold but after that he acted like he was mad at me. So breakfast and dressing were a challenge.  Then when we went to daycare, the further up the walk closer to the house we got, the slower he walked and started whining.  The minute we set foot into daycare, he wanted up and hung on tight to me.  I kept telling him over and over, that I will be back at lunch time to take him home. He got more and more upset, clinging to me, crying louder and louder. I felt terrible and tried not to cry. I know he was scared that someone else was going to come get him and not me....at least that's what I think he was thinking.  It's so hard because he can't tell me what he's thinking or feeling. So we had to peel him off of me and I left, telling him I loved him and would be back soon.  The teacher thankfully sent me a text message about 10 minutes later saying he calmed down and was happily playing.  I am SO grateful she sent that message because I was worried he would be upset and then act out that morning.

So this afternoon we went to the park and had ice cream as a treat after supper. I am glad the trip was late in the week so I can be with him the full weekend days immediately after the trip to give him security back.
We did have a BIG GOOD moment tonight too!  After bathtime he insisted on sitting on the potty chair. He's been sitting on it, but only with his clothes or diaper on, he wouldn't sit on it naked. Well after bath, he wanted to sit on it naked, so he did.....and you guessed it....he went pee! I never fully understood the huge reaction parents had and why they made such a big deal out of when their kid first went pee, but now I do! It's a window to a diaperless future :0)  I made over him huge and he grinned so big and laughed, so proud of himself.  So if we can continue this, we might be potty trained by end of summer :)
~Amy

1 comment:

  1. So glad he did so well! Hopefully mommy did just as well ;-)

    ReplyDelete