Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day Weekend

This weekend was full of interesting events.
Everyone in the family got enthusiastic hugs from Christian, without me prompt him!  I think he's turned a corner and realized they are here to stay.  Even the roaming neighborhood cat that was waltzing across Grandma's yard was going to get a hug :) Of course he didn't stick around for Christian to get that close.

We went to my sister's house, who lives in the country, to feed their animals while they are on vacation.  First up was the bunny who got alot of petting, then on to the little Bischon dog Millie. That didn't go so well because she is busy and Christian didn't like her jumping on him. Then outside to feed and pet Buddy, a Corkie dog, then out to the barn to feed Remy, the German Shepard, two cats and the horse, Baby.  I got the horse oats, walked around the barn to the feed tray, with Christian trailing behind me.  He was looking down, gingerly steeping over the tall grass, only to totally freak out when he looked up and the horse was right at the fence looking at him. It was funny for a moment and then sad because he was REALLY scared.  So my idea of having Uncle Bob give him a ride on the horse this summer may have to wait until later based on that reaction. The one cat willing got Christian hugs and the other cat had to be chased down for forced hugs.  We were NOT leaving until that cat got Christian hugs by golly. He just makes me laugh.

Christian was entirely too busy and chatty during church, so Aunt Lisa saved me and took him out, so I could actually hear the mass.  First full mass I've sat through in six months :)  When my Dad was opening his Father's Day gifts, Christian's little body was humming with excitement, couldn't sit still, and shouted, "yay!" and clapped his hands when a gift was opened.  I am going to have SO much fun with his birthday in August, his first one with me!!!

Today was the first time he's "called" for me by "Mommy."  He will point at me and call me Mommy, but hasn't actually called out for me saying Mommy, like when you're looking for someone. He said it over and over and over all day today and it was a heart warming feeling.  He was SO proud of himself tonight because he did his business in the potty chair again tonight, second time!  I hope we can make it more often so he can be totally potty trained by the end of the summer. That may be agressive, but I'm going to let him go at his own pace, be supportive and when it's supposed to happen it will, but at least we've started.

We have a big event coming up this Tuesday.  The daycare is taking the kids to the circus in the morning, in need of chaperones and I was able to get the half day off of work. I am so excited to be able to share this with him, his first circus and first time seeing these types of animals, clowns, lights, etc.  I hope he enjoys it and doesn't get scared, but I think with the other kids there, he'll do great.
I hope all the Fathers out there had a wonderful day today :)
~Amy
PS - Tammy, thanks so much for your comments, I love them!

3 comments:

  1. OMgosh LOL! You don't need to personally recognize me! I love blogs because they feel like a personal conversation with others. When I am writing my blog and reading others I feel like we are sitting in a restaurant, just chatting away. So I like leaving comments to, sort of, partake in the conversation. Maybe that doesn't make sense? But anyways, thanks for your comment!

    I did have to laugh about your comment about being able to hear an entire mass. It's funny how much you miss and don't even know it until you have a chance to really listen!

    My heart is so warmed by how well Christian is adjusting and (it sounds like) how well is attaching. You are doing such a fantastic job and you are BOTH so very lucky to have each other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW - the "mommy" call is really sweet at first. Then you realize there about a thousand different ways to use it, most of which are crazy annoying and sweet at the same time. Only motherhood can have such a complicated word!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when Hannah first yelled out "mommy" also and how wonderful that felt. I still love hearing it. I was checking out at the store the other day and she was doing her usual0--"Mom, look at that." "Mom, can I help" "Mom, can I have gum" "Mom....." the sales clerk said, "She sure says Mom a lot doesn't she?" I didn't even realize it was excessive--I still love to hear her say it. Well most of the time-sometimes she says it with a tone I don't particularly like but I still love the word.
    I can't believe how well Christian is doing and how well he is adjusting to his new daycare. What a great kid.
    Oh--I can also relate to the business you described. I feel like I have to follow Hannah all the time in public or at people's houses--she gets into everything.

    ReplyDelete