Sunday, April 3, 2011

Family Time

Off to my family's house for the weekend.  Christian usually likes to ride but this trip, the 2 hour drive, he fussed (i.e. yelled) for the last 40 minutes. Come to think of it, the other times we've made that drive has been right around his regular nap time and this trip it was in the morning, his regular play time. So being cooped up in the car during playtime wasn't his idea of a good time.

We visited Aunt B and Uncle Bob before they left for Vegas to attend the ACM awards show! We watched them on TV tonight to see if we could see them in the crowd but haven't spotted them yet :) Then we headed to Grandma and Grandpa's to visit and play. Cousins Abby, Alaina and Courtney came over to play and they all had a good time. Christian was a little whiney at first but warmed up to them. Nap time at Grandma's was a bit of a struggle, he did NOT want to go down.  After several trips into the bedroom to tell him firmly it's time for nap, followed by cajoling, coaxing, singing, lying down with him and I'm sure I tried other things but don't recall right now, I just plain gave up.  Grandma suggested to just let him get up and then put him down for the night a little earlier. So as we were walking out of the bedroom, Christian following me, he turns his head and gives a sly little grin to Grandma!!! Grandma was smart not to tell me at that moment because I wasn't too happy with Christian at that moment.  He's working Momma alright :)

We decided to enjoy the beautiful day and explore Grandpa and Grandma's HUGE yard. It makes me nostalgic about all the time we spent playing and exploring that yard and all the wonderful memories I have. I hope as Christian grows, he'll enjoy that yard like I did. So as we walked through the arbor, past the salvage pile (my Dad's a keeper and I've inherited that trait), past the shed. As we walked through the pine trees he scooped up two pinecones to "show Poppa". We made our way behind the shed and peeked through the wire fence to see if the cows were near, but none in sight. When I was little, my siblings and I used to "moo" at the cows and they would come over to the fence. Of course we freaked out and ran from them!  If I "mooed" the cows over, if there had been any, I'm sure Christian would have freaked out too :)

We continued to wander through the yard and over into Aunt Lisa's yard. I managed to snag Christian before he stepped into the mud were Aunt Lisa's garden usually is and redirected him toward her gazebo.  We had a little rest on the benches in the gazebo and then off to show our treasure of pine cones to Poppa.  Afer a drink to quench our thirst, because of the strenuous adventure we had just been on, out the door we go again the repeat our trek.  This time, after rounding the garage, cousin Alaina pops around the corner and walks with us.  We make our way to Aunt Lisa' house and go inside for a visit. Christian got closer to their golden retriever dog, so he's slowly getting used to large animals. Yay!

Sunday he was not himself, quiet, lethargic and felt warm to me.  We went to see cousin Abby perform and win her gymnastics state meet, so now she moves on to the nationals.  Christian wanted to walk around and not sit, so I am thankful to cousins Courtney and Alaina who took turnns walking him around so I could have a break.  We he returned he just sat on my lap lounging and then resting against me, so not like him at this time of day.  We ate lunch and drove back home and he slept in the car.  I carried him and laid him in bed and he felt even hotter to me but I thought it might be because he had his coat on in the car (it was a fight and he wouldn't take it off, so I left it on) and was sitting in the sun.  He woke up at 5:00 feeling very hot, almost falling down with weakness and slightly trembling. Yep, a 102.7 temperature.  The trembling concerned me so I called the doctor's service, talked to a nurse and she said to just put cool clothes on him, keep him drinking and if the temp doesn't go down by tomorrow to call the doctor's office.  Poor little guy, seems like every two weeks he's had a fever since starting daycare. I know kid catch stuff there and need to build up their immunity, and maybe this is common, being sick every two weeks for awhile, but I pray for his sake, he gets past this run of illness.

He's saying so many more words, it's so fun and exciting to watch him learn. I could sit and just watch him play and read to himself for hours. He's even trying to sing more nursery rhymes lately, so adorable.
I was approved to change my work schedule for a little bit, which I am SO very happy about, to spend a little more time with him after work each night. I think it will help with his transitioning which he's been struggling with lately. Here's to hoping the weather finally changes to warmer and stays that way :)
~Amy

1 comment:

  1. Just caught up on the last few posts. Except for the frequent fevers it sure sounds like things are going amazingly well.
    So glad your work was understanding to change your work schedule. Hope it gives you the time you need to get back into a routine.
    He sounds like an amazing kid!

    ReplyDelete