Thursday, April 28, 2011

Dirty Face

I cannot tell you how many times I have picked up Christian from daycare and his face is filthy, drives me crazy! I mean if it's not dried milk, it's some kind of food or even dried snot.  Now tell me, is that not
disgusting or what.  I know kids get dirty and I'm not one of those clean freaks by any means (people who know me are saying right now, "yeah that's right!") and I get that they spill stuff on their clothes.  But supposedly the afternoon snack is at 3:45, which means they do not wipe his face off from 3:45 to 5:00 or 5:15 when I pick him up.  I'm sorry but that annoys me.

The weather has been terrible here lately, like other places, but today we had sun and it wasn't too wet from the rain after work today. So on the way home, I thought we'd stop at the park to play for a little bit.  As expected, Christian just wanted to swing which was fine with me.  Then the freak fit hit when I told him it was time to go home. The dark clouds were rolling in and I didn't want to get caught in the rain. So he writhed in my arms as I trudged back to the car, yelling at the top of his lungs the entire time. I'm surprised someone didn't think I was kidnapping or something, as much noise he was making :)  He cried, loudly, all the way home until about 4 blocks away.  There was a terrible accident with police cars and ambulance lights going, and his crying stopped, just like turning off a light switch....little shit.  At least the hollering stopped :)

We had a tickle match after dinner and as usual, I got bonked on the bridge of my nose, which brought tears to my eyes. I surprised I haven't gotten a black eye from him yet :)  I got him a recorder whistle thing for Easter and he knows how to blow into it to make it whistle and then he just smiles. I loves music so much, I thought this would be fun.  At least it is until he blows a little sideways and it gives a high pitched shrill noise, but he doesn't do that too often, thank goodness!  I'm going to try to get his bucket swing to hang from our one lone tree in the back yard.  I haven't figured out how I'm going to get up that hight, as my ladder is too short, but hopefully I can thing of something.  Here's to not falling and breaking a hip or something :)  :)  :)
~Amy

2 comments:

  1. Our 23 month old son has that same switch... scream, scream, cry, scream, oh look a bird, silence and pointing at said bird.

    Have you mentioned the dirt face to day care? Not that you should have to. Maybe something like "can I donate these wet wipes to the class, I've been noticing Christian's face has been messy and maybe these can help."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was reading a parenting book and they gave an example on how to handle the leaving the park. Their suggestion was to give the child a choice. About 10 minutes before you want to leave, ask "Would you like to go the car now or play for 10 minutes and then leave?" Of course they say to play for 10 minutes but they feel they have some say and you still get to leave on time.--Of course may not work when a storm is coming up and you don't have 10 minutes.
    I haven't tried it for leaving the park but it does work for me at bedtime. I ask Hannah if she wants to read books now or in 10 minutes and then we set the timer for 10 minutes and she always goes willingly. It has made our bedtimes easier.

    Oh--and the accidental head butting--it never ends. When I was tired of the sore nose and crooked glasses, I asked my friends when kids stop slamming their heads into yours and one that has a 10 year old said "I will let you know" and one that has four kids said "it doesn't but you do get better at dodging it". Good Luck at that.

    ReplyDelete