Thursday, September 9, 2010

Name Rudeness and Car Seats

So I am getting a little annoyed with the people that give me a negative tone and look when I tell them Christian's middle name.....RUDE!  I kept his Russian first name as his middle name because I wanted him to have a connection to his heritage.  The name is Ruslan (roos-lawn) and it's a very "Russian" name. I know it's not one we normally, if have ever heard, in the US but it IS his name. I just think it's very rude for people to act that way and I'm about ready to respond back and embarrass them so they next time before they act like that to anyone else. Yes those who know me are sitting there in shock that I haven't piped off by now :)

Been researching car seats and am losing my mind! Just when I find one that I think is a decent price, meets airline standards, isn't too heavy (and of course looks decent) I compare it against the safety list my friend sent me, and low and behold, it's on the "not recommended" list. Of course the ones that are the "best bet" are $230+. So I gave up for tonight, again, and will continue my search this weekend.  Sigh.....
~Amy

3 comments:

  1. That's crazy about the name...people are dumb.

    How big is Christian? What about a C0sco Scenera? Also, the Brit@x Marathon is pretty pricey, but it will last a loooong time (and saves you from buying another seat down the road). If you get the Marathon, try to use a 20% coupon at BRU (I'm in STL and have one, I think).

    Both of those are rated highly for safety, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let people have it! Ruslan is common there, even part of a popular fairytale (Ruslan & Lyudmila) & good news - their opinions don't matter. As I mentioned, I am getting flack over a weird spelling name that has an Lj and is a first name. :) Those who matter don't mind, those who mind don't matter!!!

    I have a Britax Marathon stashed away from a huge sale at Diapers.com. I am not taking it overseas though. I plan on one of the FAA approved seat harnesses.

    Exciting times for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As for the car seat- Target is having a sale on their Britax- we've had the Roundabout, Marathon, and now the Parkway and I love them all! Not sure if its what you're looking for, but here's a link:
    http://www.target.com/Britax-Roundabout-Convertible-Car-Seat/dp/B003JBHLAO/ref=sc_qi_detaillink

    Their internet price this week is good- they have a girlie print in stores (the reg. Roundabout and not the Roundabout50- which holds a 50 lb child vs the original holding a 40 lb child- and really, by that point, they will likely be in a booster anyway) advertised for $100- might be worth a look if you have one in your area to see if they have a neutral or boy pattern for the same price.
    As for the name (now, granted, I'm biased because we are adopting, I understand the cultural significance, and I wish I could come across a female Russian name that worked for us- still may, but the odds are running slimmer and slimmer. LOL!), I say screw-em! LOL! I absolutley LOVE his first-moved-to-middle name!! It's unique, but not "trendy" and doesn't sound, to me anyway, like a hard-core-I'm-from-Russia name (not that those are bad; some of my favorite-but-nixed-by-hubby-for-various-reasons girls names are VERY Russian, which I liked). I'd hold it right up there with Randy & Susan's newest's name "Andrik." Love, love, love them! If someone has an issue with it, know that 1) they just don't get it and 2) after he's home, those comments and tones will be gone. My MIL had a (loudly voiced) problem with our 2nd son's name before it was given to him, but loves it now that it's his. Once they have a name and child to mesh with the name, it won't be an issue!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete