Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween

Christian loved trick or treating!  We went to my parent's house (the town I grew up in) for the weekend to celebrate my Mom's birthday and trick or treat.  My 11 yr old niece let us tag along with her and she was so patient and nice to help Christian go from house to house.  We piled into my sister's SUV and headed out.

The first several houses were "one stoppers", meaning they hit one house, got back into the car so we could drive to another and so on.  We made it to a part of town where multiple houses had their porch lights on so they hit 3-4 houses before getting back into the car. The first time we hit the multiple houses, my sister slowly drove the car up to the farthest house to wait for the kids. Christian heard the car, looked back and panicked.  He thought we were leaving them and starting crying and calling for me.  I got out of the car, went to him, picked him up to assure him that I would never leave him.  Then I ended up having to go up to every house with him after that, which I didn't mind, because I could see the people's faces when they opened their door to a little green tree frog.

We had practiced saying, 'trick or treat,' and 'thank you', and he did great!  I was busting with pride, he was so cute.  Whenever we got back into the car, I would inspect the latest loot to see what "we" got.  Now being the good mother that I am, I can't let him eat all that candy by himself, he would be sick :)  He wanted to eat a piece every time he left a house, so I had to keep distracting him. Thank goodness we didn't go to any houses that were too scary because I'm pretty sure Christian would have freaked out.

We went back to my parent's house to pack up and head back home.  Christian's pumpkin bucket of candy barely touched the table when my Dad grabbed it up and started pawing through it.  I asked him what he was doing and he said, in an excited voice, "we have to get all the candy out of here that has nuts because he's allergic to nuts."  Now I know my Dad loves Christian, but his excitement wasn't from concern but like a little boy who had hit the motherload!  I told him that Christian might not be able to eat it but I could.  He sheepishly said, "oh ok," and retrieved his hand. I gave him some anyway, it was so funny!

The drive home was tough, I was so tired, it was dark and raining.  I put the candy bucket in the front with me because I thought Christian might help himself and either get sick or choke on something.  Now I had the best of intentions, which was to make it home in one piece. That meant I HAD to eat some candy to stay alert while driving.  When we got home, I looked down in the cup holder in the console and saw how many pieces I had eaten.....WOW!  But hey, the good news is, we made it home safe and sound.

I've attached a few photos of my little tree frog :) He didn't want to take it off, so if you see this green frog in front of a Christmas tree, don't be surprised :)
~Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment