Thursday, November 3, 2011

1 yr Post Adoption Evaluation

We're set for another year!  We had our 1 year post adoption evaluation yesterday morning.  The social worker intern arrived at my house first, 15 minutes late, only to find the main social worker wasn't here yet.  So I tried to chat with her but she was such a shy nervous sort of person, so it was difficult.  This was the one time I wasn't annoyed with Christian constantly interrupting :)  The main social worker arrived about 5 minutes later and we sat down for the session.

She referred to my 6 month report, asked the same questions to compare and see what has changed.  She asked stuff like how's his development, eating, sleeping, interaction with friends/family, how's school going, etc. She also asks how I am doing with this life change, do I make time for myself, how's my support system working, etc.  In between all these questions was Christian tugging on my hand wanting my attention. He's not used to not having me all to himself at home. He would stand in front of me, pull on my cheeks so I would look at him, all the time saying, "Mommy, me. Mommy me."  I would stop and see what he wanted and then go back to the discussion.  The social worker, being a parent herself, understood and was very patient and understanding with the interruptions.

Then it hit me, as we like to call it in my family, the "green fog."  A sharp, nostril burning smell that started as a slow creep but quickly changed and attacked my senses.  Christian had pooed his diaper...BIG time!  I didn't think it had wafted to the visitors yet, so I felt like I had a few more minutes to finish answering questions in this particular category.  The category ended and the social worker told me it was fine with her to take a break and change him.  YEAH, I'm sure it was for her, I think I saw stinging tears in her eyes from the green fog!  Of all times to have one of his smelliest BM's.....nice.

At the end of the question session, she told me it appeared like we were both doing well and that she was happy for us.  ~deep sigh~ relieved.  I don't know why I get nervous with these meetings, it's not like they're going to take Christian away from me.  Of course if I was a psycho or abusing him, then that would be different.  But I did take a deep breath and sag against the door when they left.  Now we only have to do two more evaluations; next year for the 2 yr mark, and the following for the 3 yr mark.  I better coach him before the meeting next year because he'll be able to talk better and who knows what he'll say :)

It's hard to believe on Nov. 29th, one year ago, I was standing in a Russian court room, my whole body shaking and me praying the judge would say yes.  She did and my sweetie bug, dream come true, was rocking in my arms tonight before bedtime.  God is good!
~Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment