Thursday, October 13, 2011

ducks, Ducks and MORE DUCKS!

Tuesday after school and work, we headed to the park to feed the ducks. I only had two pieces of bread left, so off we went hoping to find a couple of hungry ducks.  It was a beautiful day, so the park was full of kids on the playground, people walking and running, people fishing in the pond and a group hanging out in a pavillion laughing it up.

Christian "beat me" racing down the grassy hill and I had to pick up the pace to catch him before he barreled into the pond. We found a spot with four ducks and got situated to feed them.  Two were large white ducks and the other two were brown-ish ducks. Sorry but I'm not up on duck types, so all you get is a basic color description.  I tore off a small piece of bread, tossed it in the water and the ducks scrambled for it.  Christian squealed in amazement and quickly snatched up the bread to have his turn. He reared back and threw it as hard and far as he could.  The piece of bread sort of floated on the air and lightly landed a few feet from Christian on the water, to be abruptly inhaled by one of the large white ducks. 

Now this large white duck appeared to be the boss in the group and it was letting itself be heard, honking very loudly.  We took turns throwing the bread pieces, trying to toss them to each duck separately because the "boss" was being rude, strong arming to get all the bread.  Christian would throw the bread with all his might and was getting closer and closer to the edge of the pond.  I held onto the back of his shirt because I wasn't in the mood to go in the murky fishy water after him if he fell in.  As I was standing there watching him and listening to the honking boss duck, I glanced over my right shoulder to see three ducks motoring briskly from across the pond toward us.  I mean they were hauling tail with their heads down making wakes in the water, determined to reach their goal.....the bread.

So they arrive, much to Christian's delight, and were included in the bread tossing rotation.  Only a few minutes later I look over again and here come a whole fleet of ducks.  They were like little missles, aimed at us, propelling at a rapid pace to reach our side of the pond.  I told Christian to look up and he excitedly said, "Oh!. Oh! Oh! Look, more!!!" as he wildly pointed and jumped up and down.  Here I am thinking I should have brought more bread.  They arrived in all their honking glory and joined the full body contact to get the bread.  They were so funny to watch! We finally ran out of bread and they all just sat there looking at us as if they were saying, "are you kidding me, there's no more?"  The a dad who was carrying his little girl on his shoulders walked along side the pond, the girl told him loudly, "look, ducks!"  I swear, all the ducks turned in unison and motored toward them, thinking they had food.....they did not.  So next time I have to take more bread and a leash to keep Christian from falling in :)
~Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment