Sunday, May 22, 2011

Lucky Days

We've had some luck days lately.  Friday we did the test run at the new daycare and Christian jumped right in with the kids and played.  One kid was overly curious about him, was in his personal space (very close to his face) putting his hand on his chest, saying,"hello, hello."  Freaked Christian out!  He barreled out of the scooter car, through the window side because the kid was leaning in through the door side, and ran for me saying, "Up! Up!" I held him for a few minutes and when the kid went to play with someone else, he got down to go play with the other kids across the yard.  I stood and chatted with his teacher, giving her his background, where he is developmentally right now, and what I'd like to see happen in the future.  She is so open and friendly, I got a good feeling from her.  The kid found Christian again, got too close, and Christian came running to me again.  The teachers were explaining to the kid that he was too close and to give Christian space, but he was so excited to meet a new kid he couldn't help himself. We stayed for an hour and Christian didn't want to leave, which I took as a good sign :)

We drove to my parents house for the weekend because one of my nieces graduating from high school on Sunday. We got to my parents about 7:30 p.m. Friday evening and most of the family was still there visiting because my sister from Florida flew in with one of her sons for the graduation and Mom made dinner for everyone. It was the first time Christian met his cousin Merrick, who is almost 6 yrs old.  They had a great time together! Merrick was making sure Christian didn't get hurt and was showing him the ropes on how to play the right way....it was SO cute!

Saturday we went to watch my niece play in the softball regional championship game. They lost but Christian had a good time running around.  Then after nap time, out to my sister's we went, where my Florida sister was staying, to play with all the kids.  Aunt B convinced Christian to walk with her out into the pasture to pet their horse!  I couldn't believe he did it but wa so happy and proud he was adventurous to try AND I was so happy I had my camera with me to snap the moment.  I'll be posting that picture soon :)

Christian didn't fair too well at the graduation.  We ended up in the back and when that didn't work, out in the hall.  Another parent was out there with their child so I didn't feel too bad.  It was bittersweet to see my niece graduate.  She has grown into such a special young lady and I know soon, I will not be seeing her as often as I do because she's off on a new adventure.  But she will always be in my thoughts, just like all my other nieces and nephews are every day.  My sister and I then raced home to get the food out and do the final prep work before the post graduation guests arrived.  I dashed around putting food out, talking to people, greeting people at the door and taking photos.  When Christian woke up, I then chased him away from the table multiple times because the crackers were just in his reach and every time I looked at him he had his cheeks puffed out and a cracker hanging out his mouth. He had already been fed but he saw everyone else grazing and thought, "why not me too?"  I can't blame him but I didn't want him throwing up in the car on the way home!

So now we're back at home, going in to our last week at the undesireable daycare.  We have two more test runs at the end of the week and then the day after Memorial Day we jump right in.  I pray he transitions well because the following week I'll be gone overnight on a work trip and I hope he does ok with that.  Grandma and Grandpa will be staying with him but this is the first time I will be gone overnight, and far enough away that I can't be home quickly, so I hope he does well for them. I'm sure I won't sleep that night, worrying about him, and can't decide if talking to him on the phone the night I am gone would be better or worse for him.  I've got about two weeks to decide that one :)

So all in all, we had an eventful weekend, full of laughter, family and love :)
~Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment