Sunday, September 11, 2011

Swim Lessons and the Zoo

Christian did GREAT in his swimming lessons on Saturday morning. He loved it and did what the teacher told him to.  Surprisingly, he had trouble blowing bubbles and I realized that we've never really done that.  He loved every other part of the class, except when we got out and it was COLD!  Each child got a water toy, threw it out across the water and then swam to it.  After I showed him, Christian was the only one that  used both his arms and kicking his legs to get to the toy. Yes I was so proud :) We sang songs and did motions to them, like stroke your arms out front and kicking your legs. One song has us puting them on their backs but Christian wasn't too fond of this position because he couldn't see anything. Then they put their feet against the wall and pushed off backwards, of course they were partly rested against the parents.  They had us put them up on the wall and jump to us, which is great. However, they need to explain to the kids that they do not jump unless the adult says ready and is looking at the child.  Christian jumped once when I wasn't ready and I was just lucky that he overshot the jump and his feet hit my chest or I would have had to scoop him up from under the water.  Then I would be worried he wouldn't want to swim anymore. I might mention this to the teacher but I don't want to seem bossy.  Of course I did fully and seriously explain to Christian that he does not jump unless I say, "ready."

Then there was a song about popcorn, where we jiggled them around, back and forth and then tossed them in the air, keeping contact at all times.  Christian LOVED this and the concept of popcorn. He has asked for popcorn all weekend and of course I don't have any and didn't have time to go the grocery store.  The things that stick in their little minds fascinates me.

Sunday we went to early mass so we could get to the Zoo when it opened at 9:00.  The first hour the Zoo is opened, it is free to get into the Children's Zoo area.  We walked through the River's Edge area, that's like walking through a tropical rainforest, very cool!  Christian wanted to play in the waterfalls and couldn't understand why he couldn't pet the elephant. I think going to Grant's Farm first and getting to pet the goats has confused him and he thought we would get to pet the animals at the zoo.  I tried to explain it but it didn't register to him but he got over it pretty quickly.

We sat on statues for photos, saw a Sea Lion show that he could sit half way through, saw bears, penguins, puffins, etc. We rode the train, which thrilled Christian. Whenever we would stop at each train station to let people on or off, he would say quietly to himself, "come on, go."  Ummm, wonder where he's picked that phrase up :)  He sat like a big boy, didn't need to hold my hand, until we went through some dark tunnels and then I felt his little hand on my leg. Yes Mommy is still here, crammed into this hard little umcomfortable seat.  I really need to lose some weight!

After a small snack I brought with us, we made our way to the Big Cats area, my favorite part. Christian kept saying, "pet the kitty."  Yes they do look like REALLY big kittys but we can't pet these either.  He was ok with that. I was a little disappointed because most of the big cats were hiding in the shady areas so we didn't get to see them very well.  Then off to the monkey building. Monkey's creep me out, they are too human like for me. Christian loved how they were jumping and swinging around, I was glad they were active for him to see.  We walked right past the snake house, I just cannot go in there.  I felt bad because I want him to see everything he can, so when Aunt B and Abigail come to visit to go to the Zoo with us, they can take him inside.

I wanted his photo on the big gorilla statue (everyone who's been to this Zoo, knows what I'm talking about) but I couldn't find it. There is construction in a couple of areas and detours, so I missed it somehow and was too tired to go back and try to find it.  We'll be back to the Zoo again in the next couple of months, and I'll get our photo with the infamous gorilla then :)
~Amy

1 comment:

  1. Amy, Phil the gorilla is by the exit from the gorilla house. So, if you go into the gorilla house via the entrance on that big hill (right by the construction and right after the groundhogs) you should run into him.

    Sounds like you guys had a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete