Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Pizza, Dog and Toys

Last night we had dinner with an good friend of mine and her 11 yr old son.  We made plans to go to Dewey's Pizza and when I told Christian this when I picked him up at school, he squealed and was saying, "pizza, pizza, pizza," as he was running out the door to the car. Everyone at school laughed, including me.
I was in a rush that morning and completely forgot his diaper bag that is my survival kit for him. It was the obvious diaper bag contents, along with crackers, fruit chews, extra napkins, bib, change of clothes, to name a few things. Typically when I pick him from school he's absolutely filthy, but we keep a couple of changes of clothes there for "accidents".  I figured my forgetting the survival kit would qualify as an accident, so I planned to rob his bag for a change of clean clothes.

I get to school and he's in one of the changes of clothes, not a good sign.  He had a potty accident, twice, along with some juice spills, so there was only the pair of red sweat pants and a white undershirt.  Now I do not like these red sweats pants at all, thus why they were in the school bag plus I had alot of plain white Tshirts, so I tossed them in there too.  This was all I had, which was bearable, except for the fact that I hadn't recycled the bag yet and these clothes are now too small.  So here he comes with bright red sweat pants that are about two inches too short, and a tight (not super white) Tshirt that is stretched over his little protruding belly.  If he was 40 yrs older, he could have passed for a bum guy sitting in a beat up recliner in the front yard drinking a beer.  You have the visual now don't you!

Keeping him entertained while we wanted for the pizza was going to be a challenge without the survival kit items. But my friend Kim and her son Ben saved us, they brought him two little cars to play with, which worked for a while. He got a burst of energy and was in the high chair, out of the high chair, rolling the cars across the table, around the plate, busy, busy, busy.  After we ate the pizza, which was SOOOO good, Ben took Christian over to the window that looks into the kitchen. You can watch the people making the pizza and the one guy by the window threw flour at the window like it was going to hit them in the face. Christian thought this was funny!  We were leaving and Christian decided to run a sprint, full circle, around all the tables in the place, with me chasing him and hoping I wouldn't fall down.  He was laughing, people were laughing and I finally managed to snag him before he found his way into the kitchen area, which believe me, if any kid could, it would be him :)

We went over to Kim's house after and played in the yard.  They have a little black dog, which I was wondering how Christian would react to. He always says, "pet the doggie," but when he gets close, he freaks out and wants "up".  Kim calmed the dog down and after a few minutes, Christian was on the floor petting him!  I was so surprised and thrilled!!!  He likes dogs but I think because they move fast, that's what freaks him out because when they sit still, he is fine with them.  Of course when the dog barked or did the little growl before they bark, the made Christian anxious but he didn't freak out. YAY, we're making progress in the dog category. Ben was so good playing with Christian.  Sometimes kids that age aren't interest in playing with little kids, but Ben was right there, showing him things and talking to him.  Christian loved it and kept saying over and over on the way home, "where's more Ben?"  Now "more Ben" means that Christian knows two Bens now, a 3 yr old at school and this new Ben.  I told him that one Ben was little and one Ben was big.  On the way to meet them, he was saying, "I meet big Ben." It made me chuckle because I was thinking of the clock tower, Big Ben, in London when he would say it.  Then he switched to saying "more Bens" and that's what stuck.  So Ben, you now have a nickname from Christian, "more Ben."  :)

After having fat free brownies with ice cream and chocolate sauce (come on, if you know me this isn't a shock), we headed to the "toy store" in the basement.  Christian was in heaven, all these new boy toys, he was picking up everything and couldn't decide what to play with.  Before I knew it, Kim was loading us up with some toys they no longer play with, which was awesome!  She gave us books (which I have already read three times now) , a Hot Wheels Halloween house (which I like playing with as much as Christian), a big easel, two kiddie folding chairs, board games, a HUGE space ship thing (that now has every small animal and person toy in it going to the moon), and a bug vacuum.  Now I had never seen this bug vacuum but Christian loves it!  Luckily I had batteries for it and we fired it up when we got home.  He wanted to sleep with it but I could just see him rolling over on the lever, it going off and scaring the crap out of both of us.  He was insistent on taking it to school today for Show-N-Share day. The teacher told me it was a big hit and every kid wanted to play with it. It was like Christmas last night at Kim's house!  Thanks Kim and Ben!!!!

I have to go check on Christian right now. I put the space ship thing in his room because I have no room in my living room. I'm sure he's out of bed playing on it....we'll see :)
~Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment