Sunday, June 6, 2010

Tennessee Child Returned

So I get home from Russia on April 3rd and the following week, April 13th, the sky fell!
I'm sure most of you heard how a woman from Tennessee, who had adopted a 7 yr. old boy, was having some issues with him and decided to return him to Russia, on a plane, by himself.  Even though I have read alot about that story, I have not spoken to the woman so I am not here to judge or state anything as fact.  Her decision had a HUGE rippling effect through the adoption community and yes I was one of the very angry ones. This caused adoptions between Russia and the US to slow down, they did NOT stop like the good 'ol reliable (yes I say that sarcastically) US news media stated.  Some Russian regions did however slow down in providing referrals until it was determined between the two countries what agreement they could come to to ensure this situation did not happen again.

One statement made about this returned child was that the adoptive mother said that Russia "lied to her" and did not reveal all of the child's medical history.  I can sit here and personally and honestly state that is a very real possibility because it happened to me.  But I am NOT saying anything is right or wrong about the story and what actions were taken. Personally I do feel there was a better solution to the mother's situation than to put him on a plane back to Russia.

So as the countries were in discussions, the adoption community flooded the representatives of the US Department of State (which handles the foreign adoption agreements) with concerns, pleas and petitions to allow the adoptions to continue. I personally also added in my email that the US request Russia to provide ALL the medical information on the child to the prospective adoptive parents. This will help eleviate the Tenneessee woman's situation from happening again where a parent(s) brings home a child with a condition unknown that they are not capable of handling.  There are numerous people out there, many of which I have chatted with on the adoption message boards, that request special needs children.  They are those types of angels, disguised as parents, that are capable and willing to provide the love, support and meet the additional requirements that a special needs child has.  People that request a child "as healthy as possible" are not being selfish, they simply know what they can emotionally, physically and financially handle and should still be commended for opening their hearts and homes to a "left sided angel." 

So we were told that the US and Russia should have an agreement signed by mid-June.  Then we will be told what other requirements and/or paperwork we will need to continue with the adoptions.  Throughout this time however, there were still referrals being given,, court dates completed and children being brought home to their "forever families." So I wait with hope that my next referral will come soon and will be the child that is meant for me. I was hoping to have this all completed by this August because that is when my paperwork expires. I will then have to resubmit it which will cost more money.  Money, money, money.....too bad everything typically comes down to money and how much I don't have :)  But I must stay positive and not be selfish because many parents have waited years so I need to be patient.  Prayers are welcome!
~Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment