Sunday, January 22, 2012

Soccer and Yolka

Yesterday was our first soccer class. I decided to sign up Christian to keep him active during the cold months when they don't get outside at school as much. The beginning class is "Kickaroos" and it's a parent/child class where the parent is on the field with the child and helps them listen and do the activities.  Based on our past experience with the swimming classes, I knew my being on the field was the best approach.

Christian did great!  He listened very well to the coach, which I think seeing two kids throwing fits, had something to do with it.  These two kids simply did NOT want to be there and let everyone know by yelling, crying, throwing a fit laying on the field and pushing their parent away from them. I felt so sorry for them because this was Christian's reaction in his solo swimming session, that we only made two classes out of the eight when I decided it wasn't a healthy situation for either of us.  Christian just stared at the kids throwing fits in amazement.  I leaned down and whispered in his ear, "Wow, those kids are throwing a fit, and look, everyone can see them."  He looked at my with wide eyes and said, "oh, that's not good."  I hope he got it, but he is only three :)

They did this little drills and games and he just loved it!  He was sad when the class ended but we were headed to play with a friend and see the friend's new baby sister, so he was good. I think the thought of him getting to ride in his friend's battery powered fire engine is what was the real motivator.  He had a great time playing and fell asleep seconds after we got in the car to head home.  I just hope he likes the next soccer class :)

Then today we went to the FRUA's annual Yolka Festival.  It's the Russian/Ukrainian Christmas Festival, that a local Russian group holds to the FRUA organization.  They had Russian crafts for the kids to do, drinks, cupcakes and literature for the adults.  Then the entertainment began with Father Frost's granddaughter coming out and telling the story of how Father Frost came to be.  Father Frost is like our Santa Claus, but of course different.  Of course Father Frost made an appearance and Christian was almost off my lap and on his before I could catch him. He LOVES Santa!  They also had people do some traditional Russian dances, in traditional costumes, which was wonderful.  They taught us the most common Russian Christmas song as we all held hands and walked in a circle.  Then Father Frost said he would hand out gifts for those who had prepared a poem, song, joke, etc for him.  They called up the 4  yr old and under kids first, so up went and got in line. I had no idea what to tell Christian to say because he gets shy and clams up.....I don't blame him :)  I told him to sing a song and he gave me a look of terror, stared backing out of the line saying, "No!"  I convinced him to tell Father Frost "hi" in Russian and told him to speak slowly and loudly in the microphone.  When it was his turn, he walked confidently up to the microphone, said VERY loudly, "pree-vyet!" and broadly grinned, oh so proud of himself.  Everyone chuckled, Father Frost gave him a gift, and off he ran to our seat to see what he got.  Others that have been to this Festival before, had poems and songs all ready.  Now we know for next year.

I watched him closely to see what his reaction would be to hearing Russian spoken.  I've been told that some children get very scared when they hear Russian again for the first time after they come to the U.S. because it reminds them of the orphanage, and hearing Russian makes them think they will be taken back there.  Christian didn't show any reaction to hearing Russian being spoken and he didn't repeat anything they said either.  I think he was too young when he came with me to remember the language.  I'm just glad he didn't have an averse reaction.  These adoptive families are so dedicated to keeping the Russian heritage alive and commonplace for their children, it's amazing to see.  I did try to learn Russian before I traveled but wasn't that successful.  Russian is a difficult language to learn, plus I didn't have alot of time to practice.  The few words I do know, I use regularly and he knows what they mean and can say them.  I would like for us to learn the language someday and will have to find people who speak Russian to visit often to keep the language.  We can learn it, but if we don't speak it with people, then we'll lose it. 

Right now Christian is too young to understand anything about the adoption, where he came from and what it all means. The Festival had a brochure of Russian children's storybooks you can buy that are written in English, that I want to get to read to him.  This is just one small way that I can connect him to his Russian heritage for now.
What a great weekend we had!

~Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment