Monday, January 2, 2012

Handsome and Pretty

We are learning the difference between handsome and pretty.  When I would say, "oh that's so pretty," Christian would say it too, so far so good.  Then when we were in Target a couple of weeks ago, I saw a little girl all dressed up and said, "oh isn't she so pretty." Again, Christian repeated me.  Then we saw a little boy dressed up, Christian tapped me on the arm and said, "oh isn't he so pretty." Hence the introduction to the word handsome. I told him that you call girls pretty and boys handsome.  This was a new game to him, so he practiced all the time.

At Christmas, when we were dressed in our finest for Mass, Christian looked at me and said, "oh Mommy, you're so pretty."  I was extremely flattered, a little embarrassed and overflowing with love for my little angel. I scooped him up and with a rib crushing hug, told him he was the most handsome little boy ever.  He then proceeded to tell everyone in the family that they were either pretty or handsome, loving the reactions of gushing and hugging directed at him. Such a little charmer!

He has been sick the last week, so we've been trapped inside the house for most of the long holiday weekend.  He started testing the boundaries with little steps toward  "the line" in discipline, just seeing how far he could go.  My cell phone finally died, just in time for my free upgrade to arrive, so I'm finally among the majority of the world and have a new smartphone.  Christian has been told, like the previous cell phone, that he is not to touch it....at all.....especially this phone! I've had the phone for four days and I swear I've told him not to touch it, 50 times, every day. I blame the fever for making Christian go out of his head, because with a hint of a sly smile, his little arm was reaching for my cell phone, and his eyes were on me.  I gave him the one eyebrow lift and in a firm, no nonsense tone, said his name.  He slowly lowered his arm, broke into a huge grin and said, "Mommy, you're so pretty."  HA! HA! HA!  I fell out laughing, I couldn't help it. I told him he was handsome and a little charmer.

So the days progressed that whenever he was close to crossing the line, I would deliver "the tone" and he would respond with the smiling cheeky, "Mommy you're so pretty," line. The first several times it was adorable but then I had to clamp down because he started doing what he wasn't supposed too after saying his "line."  I guess he thought if he said it, that gave him permission to do what he wanted. Although hearing it so often and in such an adorably sweet way was wonderful and of course I won't stop him from saying it completely :)

Wishing everyone only the best in 2012!

~Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment