Friday, November 18, 2011

Best Birthday

I had the best birthday ever on Tuesday!
Before Christian went to bed Monday night, I told him it was Mommy's birthday the next day.
He was SO excited and within two seconds had it all planned out.  In his jumbled speech, he told me that after I pick him from school, we were having a party with pizza, cake and balloons.  The squealed, clapped his hands and chanted, "party! party!" jumping up and down in his bed. I was sure I messed up telling him right before he went to bed, that he'd be thinking about it and not fall asleep.  Thankfully he did sleep :)

The next morning when I woke him up, the first thing he said was, "Mommy's birthday today, party!" and gave me a huge hug.  A precious moment for me. He chattered nonstop through breakfast and the ride to school.  When I was leaving school, he excitedly showed me to the door and said, "you go to work, come back soon, we go home for your birthday party."  He was excited like it was his own birthday again.  Come on, let's face it, at my age you don't like to count the years anymore :)

I was pleasantly surprised at work several times.  The day before my birthday I got a small box of Godiva chocolates, the only way to start off a birthday. A co-worker bought a tasty chocolate pecan coffee cake type of thing which was SO good!  I got several cards and a wonderful smelling candle. Too bad we can't burn candles at work but I lit it up as soon as I got home. Then we had a vendor luncheon and they brought a cake and huge helium balloon for me. That cake was the best thing I have had in years....seriously!  It was from Schnucks grocery store; chocolate cake with milk chocolate icing (a layer inside) then covered in dark chocolate ganache.  Yes I heard you sigh.  There was some left, so I went home with 2 out of 3 things Christian wanted for my birthday.

At school they helped him make a paper cake for me for my birthday.  The shape of a cupcake was cut out in construction paper and he added the paint.  He ran to me with it, he was so proud of his artwork and of course I gushed over it.  The rest of the kids made a construction paper card for me which was wonderful and the owner videoed them singing Happy Birthday to me and emailed it.  A couple of the kids said, "Happy Birthday Christian's Mom," to me too.  Then Christian about jumped out of his skin with excitement when he saw the huge balloon in the car.

He played and played with the balloon until I had to practially pry it out of his hands to eat dinner.  I found a candle in the cupboard, put it on top of a slice of the cake for us to share. He had been singing the Happy Birthday song to me, well as best as he can, which of course sounded perfect to me.  So I got the video camera, set it at the end of the table.  I lit the candle, he sang to me and we blew it out together, ending with him throwing his arms around me for a hug that I will remember forever.  We proceeded to devour the cake, with me fending off his roving spoon which constantly headed for the pile of icing.  I could just see him getting sick, eating just the icing!  I usually don't get excited about my birthday at all, but Christian's innocent ecstatic excitement for me grabbed my heart.  The best birthday I have ever had :)
~Amy

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet, sweet boy you have there! Happy Birthday and I'm glad you had such a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete