Sunday, July 17, 2011

Hot, Hot, Hot

So was this weekend hot enough for you or what???  Too much for this gal. While Christian was at school Friday afternoon, I got to spend time with my girlfriends lounging by a pool...ok so most of the time I was under an umbrella so I didn't get sunburned to a crisp. But I still had a nice time just relaxing...sigh.
Then two of the teachers have a "Parent's Night Out" on Fridays every so often. They watch the kids from 7:00-midnight, they come in their pj's, play games and have a slumber party.  Christian went for the first time on Friday and had a blast!  Plus I got to go to a movie with my girlfriends. I haven't seen a movie in about a year, I love big screen movies, so it was such a treat for me.  I picked him up around 10:15 and he went right to sleep when we got home. I was worried that if I woke him up to get him home, he wouldn't go back to sleep for awhile, but he was wiped out, they played so much!

Saturday we got up early and headed to the park before it got too hot.  Boy did it get hot!!!  Once it got unbearable (at least for me) we headed home to color and play. Later in the afternoon we headed back outside to play in the sprinkler. Now he loves to play in the sprinkler at school and they tell me he spends the whole time in there and is the last one to get out.  So I thought this would be big fun for him.  Setting up the sprinkler was a bit of a production for me. I had to first find the sprinkler in the basement, then turn the water on. Then headed outside to attach the sprinkler which took a bit because the threads were a bit rusty, but with a little force and a little begging, it came together. Then I turned on the spicket, rolled the hose out into the yard and we had a sprinkler in action. Christian played in it for maybe one minute and said he was done! I stood there with my mouth open, still sweating from my exertions to get it all together, in disbelief that he was done already.  I promptly told him he wasn't done playing and coaxed him back in....which lasted maybe two more minutes then he was off to ride his little car.  I was a bit miffed because I wanted to witness his "excitement and laughter" as he played in the sprinkler like he does at school.

So I turned off the water, sat on the steps, (in the shade of course) while he rode his car.  This lasted about eight minutes, then he decided he wanted to play in the sprinkler again. I jumped up from the steps in excitement, turned on the water and went with him to the sprinkle zone. Again, it lasted about three minutes then back to the car he went. The heat made me grumpy as well as my disappointment that I obviously wasn't going to see his water excitement, so I announced "if I turn it off this time, it's done, I'm not turning it back on." He says all cheery,"ok!"  Grrr......

Guess what happened ten minutes later??? Yep, he wanted to play in the sprinkler again. I figured maybe third time's the charm, so I turned it back on, for three minutes and then I was REALLY done this time. The water went off, we went inside, and stripped out of the swimsuit. It was fun, those brief moments in the sprinkler, but we will be doing it again, so I'm sure I'll catch that precious moment of Christian laughing and jumping in the sprinkler, in all his innocence and not a worry in the world, like I remember doing as a child.

~Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment